Birmingham Design Festival features some of the biggest names in the business... and it’s coming this June. Why not get planning with our handy guide to what's on? The four-day event is aimed at professionals and design lovers alike. It has everything from creative workshops to glitzy evening keynotes by leading luminaries including Trevor Beattie, Anthony Burrill, ustwo and Craig Oldham. Artisan Alchemy will also be opening its doors to welcome fans of fine furniture and jewellery in two lunchtime gallery tours. It's the perfect opportunity to come and see some of the amazing designers we have in store, and meet our owner, leading contemporary jeweller Michele White. Michele just won the 3D prize for her pendant 'Icicle' in the Royal Birmingham Society of Artist's prestigious Prize Exhibition...
Launch and highlightsThe festival launches on Wednesday 6 June at Medicine Bakery and Gallery with a Private View of the exhibition Forward Thinking. The show features 34 Birmingham designers, artists and illustrators. Then we're straight to the heart of the debate with Creativity: Birmingham vs. London on Thursday. There's a guide to ethical brand storytelling at BCU's STEAMhouse and a workshop at the School of Jewellery on making big ideas happen. Hear a self-publishing success story in Gamers Don't Read. Or learn about a collaborative project involving homeless people in The Hand of Change.
Hit the streets...The walkers among you should check out:
- the Urban Sketching classes with Ed Isaacs
- the Love Letters workshop
- and the Digbeth Typo Photo Walk.
Birmingham design mapped out...Birmingham gets a virtual makeover for the festival. It will be carved up into three ‘Design Districts’: Graphic, Digital, and Product, in the city centre, Digbeth, and Jewellery Quarter. And remember! Artisan Alchemy will be giving a series of free gallery tours.
What better way is there to soak up the best of Birmingham design
Birmingham Design Festival Guide
- Creativity: Birmingham vs. London with Sweta Pathak
- Dave Sedgwick from StudioDBD discussing his practice
- Fostering Creative Communities with Eve Warren
- Artisan Alchemy Gallery Tour
- Gemma Germains on ‘imposter syndrome’
- Natural History Museum UX designer Florence Okoye
- Jo Simmons and Estelle Ricoux of digital agency Friday
- How to Find your Brand Purpose with Naeem Alvi
- Virtual Visual Challenges with Laura Hernandez of Visyon
- Lou Hisbergue of North on the Science Museum Group rebrand
- Andrew Booth and Laura Dishington, lead designer on Star Wars
- A screening of Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Digbeth Typo Photo Walk
- Contemporary Engineered Craft with Chris Holden and Michael Carr
- Ed Isaacs Urban Sketching Class, RBSA
- The Future of Storytelling with Mike McGee (Framestore)
- The Vernacular of Needs: Designing Belonging with Andre Reid
- Urban Sketching with Ed Isaacs, at the RBSA
- Will AI Take my Job?